Abercamlais is the westerly of the two ‘mansion’ houses set in parkland to the north of the A40 between Sennybridge and Brecon, just within the northern boundary of the Brecon Beacons National Park. It is a splendid Grade 1 listed building, originally dating from the middle ages, but altered extensively early in the early 18th Century with additions in Victorian times. It is set in extensive grounds, sheltered from the prevailing winds by mature beech and oak trees.
Nearby there is a dovecote serving as a bridge over the Camlais stream which flows into the river Usk. At the other side of the main river there is an 18th Century walled garden and there are walks through woodlands and along the river banks. Thomas Williams, Vicar of Llanspyddid, inherited the house in 1570 and his descendants (ten of whom were in Holy Orders) have lived here ever since.
The house is Open to the Public by appointment during the summer months. Parties may be shown round the house and grounds by a member of the family. The tour lasts for about 2 hours, and there is a small charge for this.
For tours around the house please email the agents Chester Master Ltd on email@example.com